Sunday, April 10, 2011

Earth Day Campaign - Featured Artisans of the Week -

"Going green" has never been a trendier topic than it is today and as Earth Day approaches, there are some people who are taking the concept to a beautifully creative level. Sometimes our most treasured belongings are those that are simple but lovely. It is with that in mind that I am honored to showcase such a special group of artisans whose dedication to our planet brightens our everyday life. The items showcased are made by all natural or eco-friendly means and support a healthy environment.




Below are the artists whose beautiful creations are showcased above.

1. Lucinda Macy (willodel) - Cottage Wren house made from Aspen and Applewood, Etsy Listing #71690760 Artist's Note: "I have been making things and doing artwork all my life. All my work reflects my great love and respect for the natural world and my passion for creativity. I do everything from map making and graphic design to woodworking and making soap with herbs from the garden. My store on Etsy features my unique birdhouses and dwellings for other garden friends. I believe that living in harmony with Nature brings peace to the Earth and joy to the soul." http://www.etsy.com/listing/71690760/cottage-wren-house-made-from-aspen-and







2. Debra Bond-Yancey (WellCriated) - Alpaca Yarn Silver Grey 2.5 oz (SALE), Etsy Listing #68204678 Artist's Note: ""My collection of luxurious and lovely handmade knit clothing and fashion accessories is here to tickle your fancy and delight you. I design and make everything you see in my wearable fiber art collection in my New York-based studio. I work almost exclusively with natural yarns." http://www.etsy.com/listing/68204678/40-off-sale-alpaca-yarn-silver-grey-25
3. Elena Rosenberg (TickledPinkKnits) -Ingrid Organic Merino Wool Knit Wrap (an original design), Etsy Listing #60832653 Artist's Note: "My collection of luxurious and lovely handmade knit clothing and fashion accessories is here to tickle your fancy and delight you. I design and make everything you see in my wearable fiber art collection in my New York-based studio. I work almost exclusively with natural yarns." http://www.etsy.com/listing/60832653/ingrid-organic-merino-wool-knit-wrap?ref=sr_list_3&ga_search_query=tickledpinkknits&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=
4. Kayla Vernon (Countrifriedpride) - Wire-Wrapped Apple Tree Pendant Necklace, Etsy Listing #70551045 Artist's Note: "I have been playing with beads ever since I can remember. More specifically, I began working for a craft store in high school and reignited my creative side. Among many other art forms, I've always come back to jewelry making. I'm completely self-taught and have been making jewelry for 5 years now." http://www.etsy.com/listing/70551045/wire-wrapped-apple-tree-pendant-necklace
5. Sabina (Sabinaanda) - Rosebud Butterfly and Angel Mixed Media Framed Collage (original artwork), Etsy Listing #62790559 Artist's Note: "It all began with Angel Lewene... a mixed media nature- collage gift I made, inspired by and given to a 94 year old Angel-Friend. These nature angels soon seemed to have a life of their own and my favorite thing, other than creating them was to be the observer behind the piece being viewed. People's faces would light up...there was a circulation between artpiece and viewer, as if it were a mirror reflecting their own beauty. It is/was so fulfilling! So, I said, " Yes, I will be a nature artist -whatever that is - as long as it serves as food for the heart and nourishes the soul!" I hope you feel nourished and inspired by these pieces." http://www.etsy.com/listing/62790559/rosebud-butterfly-angel-mixed-media?ref=v1_other_2
6. RecycledIdeas (Etsy Shop) Plantable Birch Tree Leaves - Large - Handmade Paper with flower Seeds - Custom Options Available, Etsy Listing #64903633 Artist's Note: "My passion for primates led me to study them and in doing so, I learned of their precarious position on earth. So many are endangered because their habitat is being destroyed everyday. That's why I make green gifts... You can feel good about purchasing enviromentally friendly products from me. Not only are they nearly completely recycled waste products, but your purchases from my store also helps me to make charitable contributions to the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund ($300), the World Wildlife Fund ($50), The Nature Conservancy ($50) and the Jane Goodall Institute ($50) every year. When you buy from me, you are supporting a sustainable planet." http://www.etsy.com/listing/64903633/plantable-birch-tree-leaves-large
7. Rebekah (Sweetbriers) - Summer Sky Collection Crochet Cotton Dishcloths, Etsy Listing 65251214 Artist's Note: "Sweetbriers is all about handmade which to me also makes it not so much about being a “business” but rather more about being fun and creative and then sometimes it’s just an adventure." http://www.etsy.com/listing/65251214/summer-sky-collection-crochet-cotton
8. Fanciful Design (Etsy shop) - Paper Flower Pop - 4" Single, Etsy Listing #71687823 Artist's Note: "Part of my passion is to create items from the simplest textile of all: paper. I love paper. Finding exact freedom in this material through sculpting, allows me to create with an unrestrained imagination. A transparent lightness and so delicate in appearance combined with a fanciful inner laced imagination turns in to a piece of art. The personal touch and a very high level of sophistication is my trademark." http://www.etsy.com/listing/71687823/paper-flower-pop-4-single

9. Sighfoo (Etsy shop) - Avocado Green Quadropus, Etsy Listing #71475200 Artist's Note: "I'm a wool sweater hunter. After skinning my prey, I turn them into cute and cuddly stuffies. Yeeeee haw! I also melt glass. In a previous life I worked a bunch of years in a design firm in Chicago as a motion graphic designer. I received my BFA at the University of Illinois." http://www.etsy.com/listing/71475200/avocado-green-quadropus

10. Phoebe Gao (hellogaogao) - Mr. Stache - Zippered Pouch, Etsy Listing #71716957 Artist's Note: "...(I) just love sewing and fashion design in general. I find it supremely entertaining, so I spend most of my free time making clothes, bags, and accessories. I would say that my main focus is upcycling clothing or just random objects since it's environmentally friendly and a bit more cost effective. My shop is dedicated to raising money for an orphan in China that I've been sponsoring for the past few years." http://www.etsy.com/listing/71716957/mr-stache-zippered-pouch
11. Andrea Badgley (SacredSuds) - Dirt-Lover's Gift Set of Handmade Gardening Soaps, Etsy Listing #71627360 Product Note: "It's finally spring, and that means its time to start digging in the dirt! Time for gardeners to get their hands in the soil, poke holes in the earth with their fingers, and maybe even make some mud pies. And after all that dirty work? The dirt-lover needs soap! This set contains two soaps - a gardener's soap inspired by Demeter, Greek goddess of the fertile earth, and a patchouli and hemp oil soap inspired by Earth, the natural element of stability, roots, and growth. The Demeter soap will scrub and condition on the days the gardener works hard in the dirt, and the Earth soap, with its earthy patchouli scent, is reminiscent of the soil and humus that the gardener so loves. The Dirt-Lover's Gift Set also includes a wooden self-draining soap dish (handcrafted in the USA by fellow Etsian crochetgal) and comes gift-wrapped in beautiful cotton fabric." http://www.etsy.com/listing/71627360/dirt-lovers-gift-set-of-handmade

12. Nicky Ross (NStarStudio) - Original Fiber Art Wall Hanging, Etsy Listing #69159029 Product Note: "Using a mix of vintage and new fabrics and simple classic designs, I create layered applique pictures. Set on a natural linen background, the colors and patterns of the fabric pieces stand out and make their own statement. Simple color matched stitching secures the fabric pieces in place and adds a little folk charm." http://www.etsy.com/listing/69159029/sample-sale-original-fiber-art-wall
13. FancyThatBag (Etsy Shop) - Lunch Bag Tote Insulated and Reusable - Black with Color Wheels, Etsy Listing #70424899 Artist's Note: "A friend once told me that every person has a creative side. It just takes some of us longer to understand just what that creativity might be. I am so pleased to have the opportunity to design and put together the products you'll find in my Etsy store. I enjoyed creating each piece and am excited to know that my creativity is coming forth. And it's a joy to be able to share my creations with others." http://www.etsy.com/listing/70424899/lunch-bag-tote-insulated-and-reusable?ref=sr_list_11&ga_search_query=fancythatbag&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
14. Charlotte Swank (SpiceGroveDesigns) -Springtime Tulip Tree - topiary, Etsy Listing #71514669 Artist's Note: "I enjoy repurposing/recycling items that no one has any use for anymore into something beautiful and one of a kind. I have been creating, designing and crafting my whole life. I am excited to bring you my little store and items that have been lovingly made for you!" http://www.etsy.com/listing/71514669/springtime-tulip-tree-topiary

Congratulations to this week's featured artists! Please check back next week for new artists and products!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me!! All the featured items are amazing!! yay for natural items!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this focus on eco-friendly items, and I am so thrilled that you've including my soaps here! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - what a lovely way to introduce eco-friendly designers. This is a great blog. Thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Who doesn't love eco-friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! I LOVE this! Must tweet and FB asap! Thank you sooo much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So kind and brilliant of you to bring all of these incredible eco-friendly and talented artists together. I love your blog and your intention. My rosebud nature angel collage and I thank you and look forward to creating together in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer,

    This is such a wonderful & inspiring post! Thank you so much for including my paper flower pops.

    Best wishes,
    Noel

    ReplyDelete